Zuppa di ceci e castagne - Chickpea and chestnut soup
Ingredients to serve 6:
- 1/2 kg of dried chickpeas
- 100 gr of chestnuts
- 1 medium sized shallot
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- A sprig of fresh thyme
- Olive oil as required
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the chickpeas for 12 hours then drain them.
2. Add fresh water and simmer with a clove of garlic until they are cooked.
3. Drain the chickpeas and put the liquid from cooking the chickpeas to one side.
4. Boil the chestnuts until they are soft and peel them.
5. Pour the olive oil into a saucepan and add the finely chopped shallot, thyme and sprig of rosemary.
6. Sauté together until the shallots are clear coloured and then remove the rosemary.
7. Add 2/3 of the chickpeas, chestnuts – season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 10 minutes then liquidize.
8. Add the remaining chickpeas and serve hot with warmed bread rolls.