Pasta with sardines
Every Sicilian family has "his" version of pasta with sardines ... so this is just one of many.
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 500 gr. spaghetti
- 500 gr. sardines cleaned, boned and filleted
- 300 gr. wild fennel
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 50 gr. salted anchovies, rinsed, boned and pounded in a mortar or very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crust
- 40 gr. pine nuts
- 40 gr. of sultanas
- a pinch of saffron
- salt to taste
1) Put two tablespoons of olive oil and a clove of garlic in a pan and fry everything until the garlic turns golden, discard the garlic.
2) Add the sardines and fry over moderate heat turning them until they are cooked.
3) Add the salt and saffron (diluted in a little of water) and a small handful of chopped fennel.
4) Sauté for half a minute, remove the pan from the heat and keep warm.
5) In the water destined to cook the pasta, cook the fennel for 15 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and chop finely.
6) While the pasta is cooking in the water already scented with fennel, put three tablespoons of oil in the pan along with two cloves of garlic and onion until garlic is golden and discard.
7) Add the chopped fennel, sultanas, pine nuts, anchovies, parsley and a ladle of cooking water. Cook for three minutes.
8) When the pasta is ready, drain and toss in the pan until it is mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
9) Before serving, add a sprinkling of bread crust and fennel.