Pasticcio di Cacciagione
- 1/2 medium chicken
- 1 medium pigeon
- 2-3 quails
- Olive oil
- 2 thin slices of lard
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 large bay leaves
- 20 juniper berries
- Salt and pepper
- ½ kilo of unsalted Tuscan bread (sliced)
1. Cut the meat in pieces and roast with the lard, bay leaves and the juniper berries until cooked.
2. Remove from the roasting tray and leave to cool before de-boning.
For the stock:
1. Place the bones and skins in a litre of water and boil/reduce for an hour, add salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a roasting tray, arrange the meat in layers with slices of toasted bread, similar to lasagne, allowing for the top to be a bread layer.
3. Pour the reduced stock over the top and put back in the oven until the top layer of bread is crispy.
Add the meat and bread layers to small warm hollowed out bread rolls. Serve with roasted red onions which are an ideal accompaniment!