Torta d'aglio - Savoury Garlic Tart
• 250g sieved flour
• 120g butter or lard
• Water and salt as required
• 5 cloves garlic
• 200g fresh pancetta, finely diced
• 300g fresh pecorino cheese, finley diced
• 3 eggs
• 80g sultanas
• 1 packet of dried saffron
• Pinch of salt
Spice mix; 1 teaspoon of the following:-
• Ground Nutmeg
• Ground Cinnamon
• Ground Ginger
1. Prepare the pastry an hour before needed and rest. This can also be done the previous night, conserve in fridge until required.
2. To make the pastry mix the flour and butter together, add salt to season and then slowly add water, mixing and needing together, until you achieve a smooth, elastic dough.
3. Peel the cloves of garlic and place in cold water and bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes and then remove and place them in cold water.
4. Drain the garlic and create a paste.
5. Add the pecorino cheese, pancetta, spices, saffron, eggs and sultanas.
6. Mix together until you have a smooth mixture.
7. Roll and divide your pastry into two pieces.
8. Line the baking tray with greaseproof paper and place half of the pastry inside.
9. Pour the tart mixture into the tray and then cover with the second piece of pastry, sealing the edges well.
10. Place in a pre heated oven and cook for approximately 45 to 60 minutes at gas mark 7 or 200oC