Saccotini di Pollo - Stuffed Chicken Parcels
- 600g of plain flour
- 6 medium sized organic or free range eggs
- 2 small packets of saffron
- 300 g of chicken breast
- 1 pomegranate
- 50 g cream
- 30 g whole walnuts
- 10 mint leaves
- 20 g rucola (rocket salad)
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 20g grated medium mature pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons of tuscan virgin olive oil or the best olive oil you can buy
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Process - to make the filling:
1. Clean and cut the chicken breasts into small pieces, peel and chop the garlic with 5 mint leaves.
2. Lightly sauté the above in butter and cook for 3 minutes, add salt and pepper to season.
3. Pour in a blender and coarsely puree together with the walnuts and rucola.
4. Transfer 3/4 of the paste into a bowl.
5. Mix 1 beaten egg and stir in the grated cheese and refridgerate until ready for use.
6. Collect the pomegranate seeds in a bowl, lightly toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
To make the dough:
1. Sift 500g of plain flour in a bowl.
2. Add the eggs and the saffron in another bowl and mix them together, after that pour the mix in the flour, add a pinch of salt and knead for 10 mins.
3. Let the dough stand for 30 minutes.
4. Roll and cut the dough into 1 cm thick slices.
5. Roll each slice into a 10 cm wide rectangles - if the rectangle is too thick, keep on rolling.
6. Cut the rectangle into 10 cm wide pasta-squares.
7. Place a spoon of the filling in the center of the square shaping it as a little ball.
8. Bring in the edges of the pasta-square to seal it (saccottino).
1 Bring 4 lts of water to the boil, add salt and the remaining olive oil.
2 Slowly warm the cream, 3 spoons of boiling water and the remaining ¼ of the paste (see point 4) and add the pomegranate seeds for two minutes.
3 Boil the saccottini in water for 3 minutes.
4 Drain the saccottini with a perforated spoon, add the cream dressing and sprinkle them with the remaining mint leaves.