Piccioni Ripieni - Stuffed Roasted Pigeon
Serves: 6 adults
- 6 plucked and cleaned pigeons.
- 18 strips of pancetta (bacon) 3 per pigeon
For the filling:
- 3 pork sausages.
- A strip of pancetta (bacon)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Handful of sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Finely chop the sage and garlic together.
2. Roughly chop a strip of pancetta.
3. Remove the sausage skin and add to the sausage meat, garlic, sage and chopped pancetta, season with salt and pepper and mix in a bowl.
4. Take the mixture and stuff the pigeons, being careful not to overstuff.
5. Wrap each pigeon with 3 strips of pancetta.
6. Enclose the stuffing in the pigeon with a cocktail stick.
7. Place the stuffed pigeons on a roasting stick (spit).
8. Slowly cook the pigeons for approximately 1 hour to one side of a barbeque so that the juices don't fall directly on the hot charcoal.
9. If you don't have a rotisserie turn the pigeons regularly as not to burn them.