Torta del Borghese (metà del '300)
- 250g sieved flour
- 120g butter or lard
- Water and salt as required
- 1 kg of spinach
- 1 kg of fresh beet
- 300 gr of cubed fresh Pecorino
- 1 egg
- Mixed spices: nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon
1. Prepare the pastry an hour before needed and rest. This can also be done the previous night, conserve in fridge until required.
2. To make the pastry mix the flour and butter together, add salt to season and then slowly add water, mixing and needing together, until you achieve a smooth, elastic dough
3. Wash the spinach and the beet, exfoliate them and cut them into small strips. Drain them completely, add the cubed Pecorino, the egg and the spices to create a soft mixture.
4. Roll the pastry quite thin. Place one side in a baking tray, add the mixture and cover with the other part of pastry.
5. Brush the top of the pastry with a egg yolk and place in the oven at 190° for 40 minutes.To obtain a better result, the tart shouldn’t be higher than 5-6 cm