Stufato di Vitello - Veal Loin au gratin with herbs
Ingredients (for 6 people):
- 1,5 kg of veal loin
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 3 onions
- 1 small branch of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 glasses of white wine
- Enough quantity of meat stock
- 300 gr. of boiled chestnuts
- 3 spoons of honey
- Mixed minced herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram)
- 500 gr of shallots
- 100 gr of butter
- 150 of cane sugar
- 3 spoons of aromatic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1) Bone the joint but leave the ribs attached on one side.
2) Insert the rosemary and tie up using a butchers knot.
3) Chop the vegetables (carrots, celery, onions) into small pieces and cook them slowly with 2/3 spoons of olive oil and the garlic, until slightly colored. 4) Add the vegetables to the loin and pour the wine over it and allow to evaporate, then pour 2/3 glasses of stock over the loin.
5) When the liquid starts to boil again add salt and pepper and put into the pre heated oven at 190° for about 40-45 minutes.
6) Take out the loin from the liquid and place on a grilling tray, brush it with the honey and then cover it with the breadcrumbs and all of the herbs.
7) Grill the loin for 10 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
8) In the meantime slowly cook the shallots in a little butter, then add the sugar and the aromatic vinegar.
9) When it starts to caramelise, pour the stock on the shallots until they're covered and let them cook until they soft.
10) Whisk the residue of the roast and add the chestnuts previously slowly cooked with butter.
11) Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving accompanied with the shallots.